There was a new rumor over the weekend that there is finally a plan to bring back Star Trek to the small screen. While that sure sounds like a great idea, it’s possible that it’s false.
The rumor came from Latino Review, CBS was going to start working on a re-working of the decade-old Star Trek: Federation pitch. That was killed around 2008, when J.J. Abrams began work on the 2009 movie that rebooted the Trek universe. The idea behind Federation was that it would take place so far in the future that the Federation had become complacent with the current status.
The site didn’t say that the project is definitely Federation, but many of the same people are linked. That includes director Bryan Singer as a possible executive producer. It also mentioned that Robert Burnett was producing a fan-film called Star Trek: Axanar, a 90-minute film that’s supposed to prove that you could make a Trek story with a small budget.
Lastly, Latino Review mentions that Christopher McQuarrie was still interested in working on Federation. Geoffrey Thorne also allegedly wrote a full Federation pilot script.
i09 got in contact with Burnett, who did confirm that he is working on the Axanar project, but said he isn’t doing anything with CBS on a new Trekseries. He also refused to comment on a real non-Trek project he’s working on with Skydance, which is currently co-producing the Trek movies with Paramount.
Here’s tweets Burnett also sent about the Latino Review story:
Folks...the @LRNews STAR TREK story only reports CBS wants to make a new TREK series for television, and @BryanSinger is a good choice...
— Robert Meyer Burnett (@BurnettRM) March 29, 2015
Everything else @LRNews reported was backstory, and was all TRUE. They DID NOT say I was involved (although the AXANAR team is SOLID).
— Robert Meyer Burnett (@BurnettRM) March 29, 2015
The @StarTrekAxanar project is a donor-funded effort proving GREAT TREK doesn't have to break the bank.
— Robert Meyer Burnett (@BurnettRM) March 29, 2015
In our Saturn nominated #TNGS7 doc, @SethMacFarlane says, "The best STAR TREK isn't the most expensive STAR TREK."
— Robert Meyer Burnett (@BurnettRM) March 29, 2015
Of course, Paramount is busy with Star Trek 3, which will be out in July 2016 to mark the 50th anniversary of the franchise. While it started on TV, there hasn’t been a Trek series since Enterprise ended in 2005.
There has been a critical error on your website.<\/p>
Learn more about debugging in WordPress.<\/a><\/p>","data":{"status":500},"additional_errors":[]}
