Maggie Smith's departure from 'Downton Abbey' isn't happening any time soon

It turns out that we just don’t get Maggie Smith’s sense of humor. The actress was only joking when she said that she was leaving Downton Abbey after season six.

Earlier this week, Smith, 80, did an interview with The Sunday Times and many fans of the show believed that her comments meant that she was leaving the show. She said that her character, the Dowager Countess of Grantham, would be too old to stay alive in the series.

“I certainly can’t keep going,” the two-time Oscar winner said. “To my knowledge I must be 110 by now. We’re into the late 1920s.”

However, her publicist told The Associated Press today that she was just joking. Smith “has always been on the record as saying she'll be with the show for as long as the show runs,” her rep said.

Still, it’s not clear if Downton will even get a seventh season. That decision won’t be made until after season six airs and creator Julian Fellowes is still attached to do The Gilded Age at NBC. That project has been in development since 2012.

Smith can next be seen in The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which will be released on Friday.

image via Famous/ACE/INFphoto.com

{"code":"internal_server_error","message":"

There has been a critical error on your website.<\/p>

Learn more about debugging in WordPress.<\/a><\/p>","data":{"status":500},"additional_errors":[]}